Monday, April 27, 2009

My trip to Arkansas

Mom and Dad asked me to write a post telling everybody about our trip to Arkansas. It was my first time out of Connecticut since coming into this world five and a half months ago, and I must say it was a lot of fun!

We left home Friday afternoon and I wasn't terribly excited about being confined to a seat on a crowded airplane thousands of feet above the earth. I let Mom, Dad and everybody else on the plane know how I felt. I wore myself out on the first leg and couldn't keep my eyes open on our flight into Arkansas. We got there very late but Nana and Papa Joe were there to meet us at the airport. I was so exhausted (as were my parents) we quickly hit the hay. My Mom managed to forget my heavenly swaddle blanket so I decided to wake up each and every hour to remind them of that fact. Daddy went straight to WalMart the next day to ensure himself a good night sleep for the following nights (I have him wrapped around my little finger).

That weekend I enjoyed seeing where my parents had grown up. At Grandot and Poppy's house I found the pots and pans hanging mysteriously from the ceiling quite amazing. I also enjoyed meeting my Uncle Andrew's girlfriend Carrie. She knew how to make me smile. I met my Momma's childhood neighbors, the Robinsons. Mrs. Julia took us on a tour of her new home and I enjoyed swinging from the swing hanging from the tree in the front yard with my Momma. My Daddy and Uncle Andrew built a vegetable garden for Grandot on her birthday. She was pretty excited. At Nana and Papa Joe's house I couldn't take my eyes off the chandelier in the foyer anytime we walked up the stairs. My new four legged friends, Bailey, Maddie, and Roxie were all too willing to help me eat my cereal each morning. I also got to meet my Uncle Josh and Aunt Teyerra and soon-to-be Uncle Anthony (he's marrying my Aunt Whitney and I can't wait for the wedding!). My bottom never touched the ground I was held so much!

That week I was introduced to many sweet Southern women who told me I better grow up to talk like them. I met a few of my Momma's friends from junior high and their children. I have lots of girlfriends in Connecticut but I had never spent so much time around boys...but I must say boys have a lot of energy! I also met my great-grandfather, Papaw Brown and he sure thought I was cute. I also was surprised to get to meet my great-great-aunt Tate and her daugther Molly from Blytheville.

Then I took my parents for a quick trip down to Little Rock to meet my great-grandmother, Mammaw, and great-aunt Sue for breakfast. I then took my parents over to the first place they called home after they got married, where my Aunt Lindsay and Aunt Whitney now live. I met Aunt Lindsay for the first time and we bonded as she studied while I napped laying next to her. My Momma wanted to show me off to her old coworkers so we went to the hospital and I must have met half of Arkansas, there were so many people! Then we went to meet my great-grandmother Lynn at Trio's for lunch. Aunt Lindsay joined us too. My parents said they had the most delicous food but my bottle seemed to taste the same as always. After lunch we picked up my cousin Miriam from school and took her to Sonic. My Momma loves her Sonic! Miriam played with me and helped me to sit up on my own for the first time! I think we're going to be good friends. I also got to meet Miriam's Mom, Cynthia, for a quick visit before they left town. I needed a nap after meeting so many people! So we went back to Aunt Lindsay and Aunt Whitney's place and took a break. Then we went out with all my aunts and uncles in Little Rock to the best BBQ place in the whole world - Whole Hog BBQ. My Daddy loves their sauces. I got to meet Aunt Lindsay's boyfriend Jay too. As if my day wasn't busy enough, I begged my parents to take me out for ice cream (of course they didn't let me have a single bite!). I met a couple of friends of Mom and Dad's from med school, Adam and Hollie Sandlin. They brought their daughters Brittan and Hadley. I hope to be as cute as them some day! Whew what a day we had!!! I was so exhausted I didn't open my eyes all the way back to Fayetteville.

The flight back to Connecituct wasn't so bad. I figured the best way to pass the time was to sleep through the whole flight. Momma and Daddy sure seemed to appreciate that...as did the other folks on the flight. Now I'm back in Connecticut and things are getting back to normal. I'm already looking forward to my next trip...but for now I'll enjoy sleeping in my own crib.

1 comment:

wildflowers and sweet tea said...

that was cute. And sounded like quite a full trip! I can't wait to meet little miss kate myself.