Saturday, July 14, 2012

HOME

Well we're here!  We're actually here.  I have to say, the last few weeks have been a whirlwind of packing and living out of a suitcase for two weeks...then living in a couple hotels before we made our final destination.  Moving is hard but I have to say my kids were champs.  We're all slowly getting used to the heat of the South again.  I have drank more sweet tea (even made in my own kitchen, somehow it just tastes better down here) and eaten at Chick-fil-a, or as Kate calls it, Chick-p-lay, than I can count.  It's such a luxury to have a Sonic and Chick-fil-a so close...oh and the BBQ!  Don't get me started.

We miss our friends deeply though.  There are few times in your life that you can make such fast and strong friendships as those we made in Connecticut.  Thank goodness for Skype and cell phones, but all those techy things can't substitute being in their homes and hugging their necks.

As for the northeast...I miss it at times.  Usually when the temps are in the triple digits.  I was just thinking the other day how much I miss seeing the green in New Haven or so many other small towns in CT. I told someone the other day I think I'll miss the snow days.  Such a great excuse to stay in and do nothing.

The kids LOVE their grandparents...I don't mean just love...they seriously LOVE.  Chris was just saying he wonders if our parents understand just how much they are loved by these kids.  Benjamin loves them but loves them more because Kate loves them so much.  Every time we have had to leave them or they leave here she has been so upset.  One day she said, "I don't want to be here!" and I assumed she meant she wanted to be back at the yellow house in Connecticut.  So I asked "Where do you want to be?"..."in Arkansas!!!"..."sweet girl, we ARE in Arkansas"..."no we aren't!  DotDot and Poppy and Nana and Papa Joe are in Arkansas!"  So to her Arkansas is wherever they are and it makes sense because every time we would fly down to Fayetteville to see them we would say we're going to Arkansas.  So this week we were in Fayetteville and she seemed to understand that we live in different parts of Arkansas.  My Mom asked her, "Did you fly to see me?" and Kate looked at her quickly and with wide eyes and a shocked, secretive voice said "NO!  We DROVE here!"  How glad am I that we no longer have to fly with two kiddos to see the grands! Flying is fun but at these young ages it has lost it's mystique to us.

We have been amazingly blessed to be in this house for the year as we take our time in searching for a home to buy.  The house is PLENTY of room for our four...it's a 100+ year old home in such a beautiful neighborhood. So much closet space that we even just found a closet in a room we didn't know existed! We even got to participate in the neighborhood July 4th parade last week.  The size of the home is great, but I think I'm more excited about the laundry room...the simple fact that it is on the same floor as all the bedrooms and not in a basement where I had to worry about spiders, etc.  Oh and get ready for this...we have a GARBAGE DISPOSAL!  AND an ice maker.  I am in domestic heaven in my new abode.  Thank you Lord for those years of limiting these luxuries...it does give a new appreciation for such things.

Pictures of life up here will come sometime soon.  I'm just enjoying being able to sit here at 7am with a quiet house and drink my coffee while I listen to the rain outside and have Little Women soundtrack playing.  I'll sign off and enjoy these last moments of peace.  :)

No comments: