I have been a BAD blogger...I have pictures building up in my camera that need to make their way to the blog before memories fade and new memories replace. It's been busy to say the least. Between a three year old and 15 month old, that acts like he's two, I am kept perpetually on my toes. Reminded that these days are fleeting and although they feel long at times they are going to be part of our family's history before I have a chance to catch my breath. So I hold on, pushing on and try to enjoy those moments I know I will look back and miss terribly.
We move in a few weeks back down south. To say I'm excited is truly an understatement. That's NOT to say that I haven't enjoyed my time in the Northeast. It has been good for me in so many ways, not to mention the treasured friendships that are about to become long distant. Before I start writing what will only make me weep, let me go back to the excited part.
We are thrilled to get to be back in the south, near family and old friends. In a culture we both call home, where the tea is truly sweet, the heat is brutal, people say y'all, talk a little (a lot) slower, and simply put we have a history. That's one thing I have learned to appreciate is the history of where you come from, the family roots. Both Chris' and my family have a steeped history in the state of Arkansas. It's a history I want my kids to know and cherish as I do. Yes, there are small town things about the South that North easterners might scoff at, but they endear me to it.
So as these next few weeks march on to the day we start our three day drive down south, I am preparing my heart to say goodbye. This may not be the state I "fell in love with" but I did grow some truly great friendships. Friends that are so dear to my heart I feel they are like family. We have done meals together, holidays, some have even (after knowing us for just a small while) picked up my Mom from the airport as I was in labor with Kate. Although we didn't have family in the area, I can guarantee these friends were like family. We have walked through the early years of parenthood with them. We know their parents and call them by the grandparent names. People like this make you like a place! They show you the area through their eyes and over time I have SLOWLY learned to like it.
I walked through the back door of our little cape cod the other day with Chris and the kids. I looked at him and said, "we won't see this view much longer". We always knew it was temporary but now it's REALLY temporary. Opening that door and seeing that kitchen will all go away and just be a memory. Just like our kids at this age....they are getting older by the day and as they grow up I'll lose those little moments in the flesh, getting to hug on them at this size. Memories will have to do. So for now I'll savor the moment and enjoy each hug and cuddle. Even each tantrum, albeit hard at times...because these days are fleeting. One day they'll be just a memory.
No comments:
Post a Comment